One of the top trends for 2013 is including eco-friendly features in new bathroom and bathroom remodels. However, many people are looking for ways to have a completely eco-friendly bathroom and not just a few items here or there. These are the best ways to build an eco-friendly bathroom.
1. The first, obviously, is to be aware of the flow of water. There are three areas in the bathroom that consume water: the toilet, the shower, and the sink. The toilet water flow can be controlled with European style low flow flush toilets. There are two water flow options, one for low flow and one for full flow. Most shower nozzles come with a ring that reduces the flow of water. Another way to make your bathroom eco-friendly is to drain your shower water into a tank that can be reused to water lawns and flower beds. The same can be done with the water from the kitchen sink. If you decide to do this, be sure to use biodegradable soaps and shampoos. As for sinks, low flow water devices are also available.
2. Use low-VOC or non-VOC paints. “Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids. VOCs include a variety of chemicals, some of which can have short-term and long-term adverse health effects,” according to the Protection Agency. Environmental. This is especially important if children use the toilets.
3. The incorporation of natural elements not only makes the bathroom feel relaxing; Certain items can also be environmentally friendly. The first is to harness the natural energy of the sun. If you have a south-facing bathroom, the larger windows will help naturally heat the room, reducing energy bills. Window treatments, such as double cell curtains, can keep the air warm at night or block sunlight during the summer months, keeping the room cooler. Plants are also a great addition to a bathroom, but make sure they are tropical plants that thrive on humidity. Plants help clean the air of pollutants and give us oxygen.
4. Use reclaimed or recycled barn wood for cabinets. Wood is weather resistant and can create a great rustic look for the bathroom.
5. Using repurposed tile is a great way to create art in a bathroom. By searching for tiles that have been discarded, the homeowner can create an incredibly unique atmosphere by mixing and matching colors and textures for a fraction of the cost of new tiles.
There are many ways to make a new eco-friendly bathroom. Upgrading a bathroom can be done with just a few tweaks here and there. Remember, reuse, reduce and recycle applies to bathrooms as well as any other room in the house.